The eye is a truly remarkable organ. Here are twelve fun facts about the eyes that you may not be aware of.
- Size and weight — Eyes are about 1 inch in diameter and weigh about a quarter of an ounce.
- Colors — The human eye can differentiate about 10 million different colors.
- Complex — Eyes are the second most complex organ after the brain.
- Blinking — The human eye blinks over 4 million times per year.
- Components — Eyes are comprised of over 2 million working parts.
- Cell structure — Each eye contains 107 million cells.
- Responsive — The eye is the fastest muscle in the body.
- Strong — The muscles in the eye are 100 times stronger than they need to be to perform their function.
- Topsy-Turvy — We actually see things upside down, and the brain turns the image right side up.
- Durable — The only cells that survive for your entire lifetime are in the eyes.
- Unique — The cornea is the only tissue in the human body that does not contain blood vessels.
- Resilient — 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or curable.
To keep your eyes in tip-top shape, be sure to schedule regular appointments with your Eye MD.